Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hormonal hmmmmm...

A delightful birthday dinner last night -- the chef's tasting menu! We had:

  • A seared scallop on rattlesnake beans and venison sausage
  • Radish sprouts salad in a sesame vinaigrette with carrot crisps on house-pulled mozzarella
  • Crispy halibut with shrimps and a smoky, creamy sauce over one lobster ravioli
  • Glazed beef on polenta with wild mushrooms and onions
  • Creme brulee (with a candle on top!) for me; pound cake with honey cream for The Brit

Oh, and two slices of bread with dips to start. A glass of champagne and a glass of red wine, too.

Delicious, definitely -- and an experimental treat.

We returned to home around 10:30pm. On the way, I told The Brit how sleepy I felt. Granted, it had been a crazy day involving lots of non-air conditioned car travel. You see, our car's A/C is broken. In Phoenix. In August. Painful to consider, right? But regardless of that, a wave of "I'm tired NOW" hit me very fast and out of the blue. Possibly general exhaustion, but I also get this feeling any time I eat anything high sugar/carb. I hadn't felt it in at least a month...

At 12:30pm, the PMS cramps hit. HARD. This after thinking "hey, I haven't had my usual 7-10 days of painful nonsense!" yesterday. I'm due for PMS to be over tomorrow or Saturday. This is all very strange.

I woke up at least four times last night, needing to walk around or sit upright in order for the cramps to pass. Over-the-counter painkillers do not help, but I took some anyway. No dice.

This all has me to wondering: Is it complete, cyclical coincidence? Or could it be the big shot of sugar I ingested last night after next-to-nothing for a month -- and subsequent insulin surge -- kicked my prostaglandins and other hormones into gear?

If there is one thing I know after my years of working with endocrinologists, it's this: The hormonal system is completely interlinked and beyond delicate. You mess with one, you mess with the others. But is one meal enough to cause such painful consequences?

I am very logy today, but that could be the fact that I didn't sleep well last night. It could be the sugar getting out of my body. Or both. The Brit tells me he feels really tired today as well, despite fairly normal sleep.

I am not one to jump to a conclusion, particularly when other valid factors are in play. But it causes me to wonder...so I crave research. I'll have to look into this. When I have more energy.

1 comment:

  1. Different Pointe of View has as its name suggests, a good view over the valley. It was a prime location to watch a thunderstorm while we ate.

    ReplyDelete