Sunday, May 1, 2011

How I Eat

The Greedy Gobbler Guidelines are really very simple.

Here's what's in:
  • All vegetables, except roots and tubers.
  • Whole meats -- including seafood, poultry, beef, pork, etc. Processed meats (e.g., sausage, bacon, deli meat) can be OK for variety, but labels have to be carefully scrutinized for added sugar/starch. You'd be surprised.
  • Eggs -- the whole egg. Not just the whites.
  • Full-fat dairy -- including cheeses (hooray!!), butter, cream, sour cream.
  • Condiments, herbs, oils, spices, beverages that don't contain sugar. Lots of label reading required here. Beware.

Here's what I can have in small quantities:
  • BOOZE. I could be fancy and say "wine or spirits," but let's be real here. A drink a day, if I want. Maybe two on special occasions. Nothing sweet or with sugar, of course.
  • Tomatoes, avocados, coconut, lemons, limes -- yes, they're fruit, but have much lower sugar content. A bit here and there makes the world go 'round.
  • High-fiber crispbreads (up to two a day) and 100% wheat bran.
  • A few nuts -- I keep this to a palmful a day, or else I'd eat the whole jar.
  • Dark chocolate -- the 75% or higher kind, up to about 1/4 of a bar a day.
  • Sucralose (Splenda), stevia, and aspartame (Nutrasweet), in very small quantities when necessary. For all my "eat real food!" mantra, I am not a martyr. Sugar-free cherry Jell-O is a godsend. As is the occasional Diet Dr. Pepper.

Here's what's out:
  • Sugar, in its many forms and disguises.
  • Fruit (except those listed above) -- for now. I plan to move fruit up to the "small quantities" list eventually.
  • Beans and legumes -- these should move up eventually, too.
  • Flour and grains -- yes, even whole grains.
  • Low-fat anything, especially dairy. Hallelujah!
  • Sugar alcohols, especially maltodextrin, malitol, xylitol, sorbitol, etc.
For more detail, please check out the original post where I shared these guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment