Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Everybody Eats When They Come to My House

At The Hacienda, the beginning of football season is cause for merriment. Particularly after the nonsense of the NFL lockout, we couldn't help but have a few friends over for the first preseason game on Friday evening.

Between somewhat watching the game and exploring our bizarre selection of digital aerial UHF channels (no cable at our house!), I received one of the nicest compliments I've ever heard:

"I always love coming to your house, Stacey, because I know I'll laugh a lot."

I managed a thank you, then caught back a tear by chomping into a chicken wing. That's the whole point of our house: good people, a little ridiculousness, and a whole lot of hilarity. Oh, and plenty of food:




Truer words were never sung at The Hacienda.

For this impromptu gathering, I put together (read: picked up) a spread that most anyone could enjoy:

  • Buffalo wings
  • Stuffed sausage mushrooms
  • Guacamole
  • Crudités with ranch dip
  • Cheeses and crackers (traditional crackers for some; flax crackers for us no wheaties)

Wine or beer flowed for some; others grabbed sodas or sparkling water. Either way, a snacky dinner with friends provides more than mere physical nourishment. You leave feeling content and full -- not because of the food, but because of the folks who choose to spend time with you. And that's something I never take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment