Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Linky-Loo: Musings from Across the Internets

Today's my birthday! And as a present to myself, I'm letting other people do the work.

Here are a few stories that crossed my transom this week -- all of them fascinating and food (heh) for thought. Do they stir opinions? Let me know!

  • Where Did the 2000 Calorie Diet Idea Come From?: Intriguing insight into the FDA process to determine 2000 calories as the "optimal" daily range. To my mind, Marion Nestle is a hero among dieticians, even if new science is starting to debunk the "calories in/calories out" dogma. I look forward to her next book with earnest -- it's sure to be a hot topic. By the by, "What To Eat" should be compulsory reading for anyone trying to feed a family, even (especially?) a family of one. Please check it out.
  • Primal Travel: My buddy Juliann is guest blogging on the always excellent Paleo Periodical this week and has lots to say about best ways to travel when following a paleo/primal diet. Paleo is very similar to lower-carb in many ways, so this is great insight into how to not only stay on track, but make your fellow passengers VERY jealous of your snack kit!
  • Still Counting Calories? Your Weight-Loss Plan May Be Outdated: Jane Brody of the New York Times discusses the latest Harvard University/Nurses Health study, published in the June New England Journal of Medicine. After observing almost 121,000 healthy adults, it turns out some calories may be better than others. Who knew?! Also -- and this should raise a big YAHOO! from any red-blooded American -- moderation and extreme exercise may be overrated. I've yet to read the full study, but look forward to doing so.
  • Gyros Crawl: Dominic is quite possibly one of the best food guys out here in Phoenix and always tempts me with his adventures. This one, in particular, is a marvelous show of how good food doesn't have to be foo-foo-la or expensive. Just ask for no pita and you're set! (Disclaimer: I was supposed to accompany him on this crawl, but had to cancel last minute. Still despondent over this turn of events...and craving Z's Greek!)
  • Sustainable Food Is Really Expensive, Writer Reports: Coming out of the "duh" category, a reporter at The Atlantic looks into the positioning, pricing, and class issues of obtaining higher quality, organic food. We can read the original article together -- sounds like it might be a bit dramatic (FabergĂ© eggs?!), but raises a good point re: class issues and food. Something I'm sure to write extensively about in the future.
For my birthday, The Brit got me a cherry/olive pitter AND a copy of Julia and Jacques: Cooking At Home. Does he know me, or what?! I can't wait to dive in and menu plan.

To all the other Leos out there, happy birthday! And to those of you who love us, thanks for putting up with our regal shenanigans.

N.B.: I'm having a guilt-free, special dinner out with The Brit tonight. Old-fashioned dessert may be consumed. I hope it has a candle on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment